Summer low calorie cocktails are a great way to keep your caloric intake under control without having to sacrifice that fun and relaxing summertime experience. After all, you have every reason to want to kick back and take in the season, but this doesn’t mean that you have to derail your efforts to achieve or maintain a healthy body weight.
Relaxing with Low Calorie Cocktails in the Summer
One of the most enjoyable parts of summertime is sitting out on the deck with a cocktail in your hand, watching the condensation run down the glass. Unfortunately, when you’re trying to lose weight, it doesn’t take long to realize that many of your favorites can pack a massive calorie punch. That one afternoon on the deck with your friends can rapidly undo all your hard work making smart food choices the previous week!
Fortunately, there are many low-calorie summer cocktail recipes that you can enjoy without consuming your entire daily calorie budget in a single sip. The following are some of the best examples for you to try this year.
Low Calorie Cocktails for Any Barbecue or Summer Evening
- Icy lime margaritas – At only 120 calories per serving, this is extremely easy to make. Simply make your own cocktail using store bought limeade and add extra crushed ice to keep things chilled and light at the same time.
- Strawberry-orange vodka cocktails – Choose a juice that has no sugar added and toss in a handful strawberries before blending. A splash of vodka to polish it off will help to satisfy any sweet tooth. If you make pitchers of these cocktails in advance, you’ll be able to serve them to entire parties in a flash. A fresh mint leaf to top it off can finish it with that added something special.
- Mojito fresco – This Cuban classic can be lightened up for just as much taste and not nearly as many calories. Simply sweeten it with a sugar substitute instead of refined sugar and lighten up its alcohol content just slightly. Crushed ice will stretch the taste even further while lightening the calorie load.
- Lemonade pomegranate fizz – Combine lemonade with a splash of antioxidant rich pomegranate juice. Add some club soda to make it fizzy and to slash the sweetness of this summer favorite. Whether or not you want to use regular lemonade or spiked is up to you.
- Sparkling sangria – Grab the cheapest bottle of wine that you can find and stretch it into a pitcher or two of some amazing sangria. Add some extra club soda to thin out the calories without sacrificing any of the taste that you know and love.
- Piña coladas – If you like piña coladas…then you’ll be relieved to know that you don’t need to give them up. Just add a refreshing bubbly twist with some club soda or a lot of crushed ice. This will taste great and reduce the calories by a mile.
Don’t Forget to Hydrate
Another great trick to get the most out of your low calorie cocktails this summer is to remember that hydration is extremely important. This is particularly true when you’re drinking alcohol on hot days.
As a rule of thumb this summer, always drink one glass of water for every cocktail – or beer or glass of wine – you consume. This will not only slow down your pace of drinking alcohol and will slash your calories in half, but it will also make sure that you remain hydrated. This will reduce your risk of feeling unwell due to the heat and will also prevent a dreaded hangover the next day since they are more common when you’re drinking in hot weather – even when you haven’t had an extreme amount of booze.