Congratulations for making the decision to achieve successful weight loss by using healthy methods based on nutrition. As a woman, fulfilling your body’s nutritional requirements while losing weight can feel like a challenge—but it’s not impossible. In fact, just a little knowledge about how your body uses food will help you understand how to eat the proper foods at the proper time for successful weight loss.
Nutrition Information for Successful Weight Loss
As women, we can achieve successful weight loss while nourishing our bodies by using this valuable nutrition information. Throughout the learning process, it’s very handy to use a nutrition tracker to help keep on top of what you’re eating and what it contains. This can help you to better understand your habits and make adjustments if and when they are needed.
A word on calories
There is a simple rule of thumb for understanding calorie intake and weight loss. You must burn 500-1000 calories more in a week than you eat in order to consistently lose 1-2 pounds per week. This is also the healthiest amount of weight to lose in that time frame—anything more and it is a crash diet and that’s a dirty word. Keeping this rule in mind, there are a variety of foods available for you to choose from to help you achieve successful weight loss. You can do this without sacrificing the vitamins and minerals that keep you healthy.
While cutting calories may be a helpful strategy for successful weight loss, it’s also very important not to cut too far. Talk to your doctor or a dietician to find out the ideal calorie range for someone of your activity level and health needs. While there may be an upper limit, it’s critical not to ignore the lower limit, too. Think of your calorie intake every day as a range, not a cap.
Timing meals for optimal results?
You are best to eat small meals throughout the day. This is the same way a person eats who is hypoglycemic (has low blood sugar) except you don’t have to have low blood sugar to take part in it. What this does apart from stabilizing blood sugar as you diet, is to set your metabolism to fast burn.
Simple and quick ideas for eating throughout the day for successful weight loss
- Break the fast in the morning with grapefruit and whole grain cereal
- Bring healthy snacks to work or school like nuts and raisins to eat twice—once mid-morning and once after lunch
- Lunch should be protein and carb based. Whole grain bread with tuna or egg salad and ranch dressing or low-fat mayo.
- Upon arriving home, another healthy snack such as a salad with chili-lime nuts, low fat cheese and a hard-boiled egg tossed in.
- Dinner time should be balanced with a lean meat protein, two vegetables and one starch. Sweet potato is a great substitute and packed with nutrients.
Servings to Keep in Mind
- 8-10 ounces lean protein.
- 8-10 ounces vegetables. Aim for 2 servings at each meal or more and add them to snacks
- 2 whole fruits daily or more
- 4 -6 ounces from a nutritious, high-fiber starch food like a small sweet potato
You don’t have to be too precise. Use the servings as a guideline for the ideal day, but accept that this kind of precision may not occur every single day. This is why these amounts should help you eyeball it and get optimal results. As with all diets, regular exercise and at least 6— 8 OZ glasses of water a day will boost your metabolism and help you feel full. Drink more water on hot and/or physically active days.